A sincere educational research and authentic Cuban experience with Barbara Nagode Ambroz
RESEARCH INTO AUTHENTIC CUBAN MUSIC AND DANCE STYLES
AND THEIR WORLDWIDE INFLUENCE AND IMPACT
The project is led by Barbara Nagode Ambroz in cooperation with top dance and music experts from Cuba and Europe and under the auspices of The Cuban Ministry of Culture.
The project will be carried out in Havana, Cuba from 11th to 16th February 2014.
THE PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT IS:
– to acknowledge and preserve the Afro-Cuban music and dance heritage
– to learn from the underlying philosophies and apply the discoveries to the social and competitive Latin-American dance styles
– to offer chronological insight into the cross-cultural influence and synergy which played an essential role in shaping Cuban and Western music and dance
– to stimulate dance discovery and development by going back to roots
– to provide all participants with an authentic learning environment
– to extend additional educational options, not only in the field of dancing, but also in the field of music
THE DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
Day 1 (11th February 2014)
– city tour, including the Guanabacoa Museum and visiting of Association Yoruba with the presentation of Afro-Cuban roots
Day 2, 3 and 4 (12th, 13th and 14th February 2014)
– an intensive three day research workshop at Conjunto Folclorico National (8 group classes/lectures per day with live percussion)
Day 5 (15th February 2014)
– daytime rehearsals for the evening public performance of all active participating dancers in the Havana theatre (Teatro Mella)
This will be the first time ever that Cuban authentic style dancers will perform together with the dancers of the International Latin-American competitive style.
Day 6 (16th February 2014)
– day trip to Varadero with a party on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
– on the way back, a stop in Matanzas to experience Rumba Guaguanco ritual with the locals
EXPERTS AND LECTURERS
CUBAN RUMBA – Master Domingo Pau (Cuba), Alexander Varona Marrero (Cuba)
DANZA, DANZON – Zenaida Armenteros (Cuba), Silvina Fabars (Cuba)
SON – Alexander Varona Marrero (Cuba)
CHA CHA CHA, MAMBO – Lic Moraima Bravo (Cuba)
CASINO (CUBAN SALSA) – Los hermanos Santos (Cuba)
HYSTORY OF CUBAN MUSIC – Dr. Olavo Alen Rodriguez (Cuba)
AFRO-CUBAN INSTRUMENTS – Dr. Olavo Alen Rodriguez (Cuba)
STYLE ANALYSES – prof. dr. Ruud Vermey (Holland)
MOVEMENT AND MUSIC RELATIONSHIP – Barbara Nagode Ambroz (Slovenia)
CROSS CULTURAL DIMENSIONS – Maximiliaan Winkelhuis (Holland)
As the aim of the workshop is the exchange of knowledge not between a privileged few, but with a wide international audience, the six days of the Cuban Experience will also be meticulously documented by a professional film crew and will later be made publicly available in the form of a short documentary.
The participants’ enthusiasm and efforts will undoubtedly develop the project into a meaningful contribution to the world of music and dance.
Contact Barbara Ambroz